Cryotherapy has been around since the late 70’s and even after four-plus decades there are many people who don’t have any idea what it is.
We think information is a powerful thing so flex your muscles with these 10 fast facts of cryotherapy…
- Cryotherapy was originally invented in Japan by Dr. Yamaguchi to treat his patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Cryotherapy is a dry process using nitrogen vapors to rapidly cool the surface of the skin triggering vasoconstriction.
- Vasoconstriction is the process of narrowing the blood vessels forcing blood from the peripheral tissues to the core.
- Blood being drawn to the core pulls inflammation from tissues and surrounding joint spaces letting the body recover faster with less pain. Cryo itself is a painless process.
- The entire cryo session only takes three minutes but there’s a lot happening in those 180 seconds. The blood is getting extra oxygen, hormones, enzymes and nutrients. This effect happens at -166F and colder.
- Some of the good stuff your body starts pumping into your bloodstream includes: Serotonin to help elevate your mood, endorphins to relieve pain and energize you, norepinephrine which is a neurotransmitter that is important for attentiveness, emotions, sleeping, dreaming and learning.
- Cryotherapy boosts the body’s immune system through this therapeutic process.
- During a cryo session your core temperature only changes 2 degrees. Why? Because even though you feel cold, the blood is being sent to the core keeping your temperature consistent.
- Cryotherapy creates a systemic response, so even the top of your head is benefitting even though it’s not cold.
- People try to compare icing and cryotherapy but the two couldn’t be more opposite. Icing creates vasodilation only, your body is trying to keep warm so blood flow is slowed in the peripheral tissues. Cryotherapy creates vasoconstriction, sending blood from peripheral tissue to the core to prevent heat loss and protect the vital organs. Once you step out of the cryochamber you go into vasodilation thus double dipping on the two qualities of cold therapy.
BONUS FACT: Ok, this is #11 but it’s a super cool fact that you will burn 500-800 calories per session!
This is just the beginning of what cryo is and what it does for the body. Interested in learning more? Visit our FAQ page to read up on all the details!
We would love to share more and have you experience the magic of cryotherapy so stop in at either of our locations, call or click the Book Now button to book your appointment online.